Develop circular economy
The LIFE IP Smart Waste project aims to develop the territorial dynamics to implement and reinforce the efficiency of the most recent departmental plans (2014-2016), as a first step, then the Regional Plan for Prevention and Management of Waste. (PRPGD), which will be adopted in June 2019.
To achieve this goal, five major axes will be developed:
- Supporting technical and social innovation to include in the circular economy all channels of waste collection, treatment and recycling;
- Strengthen and adapt equipment to improve the rate of recovery of waste (collection, sorting and processing at the local level);
- Strengthen the skills of people in charge of waste in communities and businesses;
- Support the implementation at the relevant level of prevention, awareness and information solutions on good waste management;
- Promote exchanges and the sharing of good practices.
In addition to the Region that supports the project, the partners co-financed by LIFE, or associated beneficiaries, are initially the local authorities in charge of the waste of Bouches-du-Rhône and Var, then in a second time those of the entire region via a call for projects (2020).
Other partners are closely associated with the project:
- The Regional Directorate for the Environment, Planning and Housing (DREAL), which carries the state strategy for prevention and waste management;
- The Environment and Energy Management Agency (ADEME), technical partner and co-financier of the project's actions;
- CITEO, private co-financier of project actions for the reduction, sorting and recycling of packaging.