Optimise selective collection
Develop circular economy
Reward waste sorting
Support economic innovation
The LIFE IP Smart Waste project aims to develop the territorial dynamics to implement and reinforce the efficiency of the most recent departmental plans (2014-2016), as a first step, then the Regional Plan for Prevention and Management of Waste. (PRPGD), which will be adopted in June 2019.
To achieve this goal, five major axes will be developed:
- Supporting technical and social innovation to include in the circular economy all channels of waste collection, treatment and recycling;
- Strengthen and adapt equipment to improve the rate of recovery of waste (collection, sorting and processing at the local level);
- Strengthen the skills of people in charge of waste in communities and businesses;
- Support the implementation at the relevant level of prevention, awareness and information solutions on good waste management;
- Promote exchanges and the sharing of good practices.
In addition to the Region that supports the project, the partners co-financed by LIFE, or associated beneficiaries, are initially the local authorities in charge of the waste of Bouches-du-Rhône and Var, then in a second time those of the entire region via a call for projects (2020).
Other partners are closely associated with the project:
- The Regional Directorate for the Environment, Planning and Housing (DREAL), which carries the state strategy for prevention and waste management;
- The Environment and Energy Management Agency (ADEME), technical partner and co-financier of the project's actions;
- CITEO, private co-financier of project actions for the reduction, sorting and recycling of packaging.